A Christmas Carol- “Marley’s Quote”

“Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!”

Marley is a dead man as of seven years. He comes back to Scrooge to explain why he was a horrific man and is upset with the way that he lived his life. This is a warning for Scrooge that there will be three spirits coming to haunt him. Marley is stating that everything in his society was his business and he had something to do with ever bit and piece of it. His real business was working in his shop with Ebeneezer Scrooge, but he believed that everything else had at least something to do with the business Scrooge and him owned.

This quote can be related to our society and lives in many ways. One, is that we are (for the most part) busy people, and many aspects have ti do with being our business. We have so much going on in our every day lives that it is difficult for something to not be our business or applying in any way to our lives.

One thought on “A Christmas Carol- “Marley’s Quote”

1. Great Job explaining what Marley was talking about. Do not forget how Marley is also warning scrooge that scrooge has time to keep from ending up like himself.